Conference: Categories, Digital Reconfiguration and Mobility in China
Co-organized by the Department of Communication, University of Copenhagen, Department of Politics and Society, Aalborg University, and Technologies in Practice group, IT University of Copenhagen, Anthropology of Technology Network.
The international conference is a joint opening conference for the Network Categorizing People and Resources in Contemporary China (CatCh) and the Moving Data - Moving People (MDMP) project on mobility and China’s social credit system. The conference aims to provide an open interdisciplinary forum for discussing the potential of categorization and configuration as original and innovative approaches to study social life, relations, practices, and governance in China. Against a backdrop of increasing digitalization and strained relations of trust, how are technologies of categorization and configuration reproduced and transformed in social relationship and digital governance?
The conference consists of talks and presentations on the following three themes:
- histories of categorization. (e.g. historical forms of social categorization, reconfiguration of categorization based on for instance gender, place of origin and ethnicity)
- digital categorization. (e.g. the Social Credit System, digital reconfiguration, defining and selecting digital indicators, blacklisting, digital governance, health apps and Covid-19 governance)
- mobility and categorization. (e.g. domestic and international migration, digital spatial boundaries, grid management, Covid-19 and mobility
The conference will organize sessions that contain both oral presentations and work in progress papers, the latter with extended feedback.
- Genia Kostka, Freie Universität, Berlin
- Julia Chuang, University of Maryland
- Marion Fourcade, UC Berkeley
The conference will start on Wednesday, May 18, at 10 a.m. and end on Friday, May 20, at 3 pm.
Venue: University of Copenhagen, South Campus, Karen Blixens Vej 4 DK-2300 Copenhagen S
If you have trouble finding your way please call one of our conference assistants:
- Mira Gaarde Topp: +4530368707
- Anton Jørgensen: +4528947292
Deadline: Wednesday May 11th 12:00 !
Vegetarian lunch will be offered to those registered.
Possibilities for accommodation
Airbnb works well in Copenhagen, but do make sure not to get yourself too far out of town. The conference venue is in the southern part of Copenhagen.