ThinkChina Student Forum
ThinkChina Student Forum is an ambitious student initiative organizing a broad range of social and academic events. Like an elixir consisting of equal parts never-ending friendships and hardcore scholarship, we are experimenting on the balance, hoping to achieve the perfect recipe for great scholarly content, Chinese language learning, and knowledge about culture and society, while at the same time socialising in a laid back manner. Stirring the pots are volunteering wizards from China Studies at UPCH “with a little help from our friends” at other faculties such as Social Sciences.
Our work has many facets, but overall we have two main objectives:
- We want to be a platform for social interaction between young Danish students and the new-coming generation of Chinese university students.
- We want to make knowledge about China not only accessible, but also easy and enjoyable for our fellow students.
In this way, we will help you get equipped with the tools and network necessary for engaging with research in and about China as a Western scientist. Beside from the inevitable aspect of guanxi (network), our aim is also to strengthen the bond between China Studies internally as well as with other faculties and institutions with traditions for engaging with China. We want to facilitate opportunities for idea sharing concerning the scientific aspect itself, but also regarding relevant student jobs and internships.
What we actually do
Come have a snack while enjoying a Chinese movie - or attend one of our language cafés "Kinacafé 汉语角", where our Chinese friends are coming from all across the country (and from many different backgrounds) to encounter some of that Danish culture and make friends with us! If you are more into the academic stuff, we also host various kinds of events presenting and discussing e.g. senior students’ latest research projects or telling about their experiences with living in China and studying at UPCH in general. For the truly dedicated - or if you just like the hyggelige qifen (atmosphere) - we also have a book club, where we work our way through Chinese must-reads, while enjoying a nice meal, drinks, snacks, and the company, of course!
- The books we read are always old or new Chinese masterpieces. However, we read them in Danish or sometimes English, so fear not.
- You sign up for one book at a time, get the book (for free!), and after an appropriate amount of time, we meet up at one of our places. We make sure give everyone plenty of time to read it.
- The meeting program is jam-packed with all sorts of good stuff; TCSF will usually treat you with dinner, drinks, snacks - you name it! And of course, we will have the discussion of the book, as well as a lot of cosy smalltalk and China gossip. Reflections of the book span everything from the general reading experience with impressions and judgements, to academic analysis, historic parallels, and, naturally, nerdy points on the translation - we can't help it! So no matter your literary background, you and your reflections are appreciated here :)
A couple of times a year, we meet up to watch a Chinese movie together; old classics, kong fu frenzies, artsy alternatives or modern melodramas - we love 'em all! We usually host this at a room at Southern Campus, in our Café, or it could also be at one of our members' homes. We always make sure there is stuff to eat and drink, all you have to do is show up and have a nice time together with us :)
Bring a friend if you like, and also feel free to recommend a movie for next time!
Keep an eye on our Facebook Page where we will announce the next event.
Is your Chinese a little rusty and lacking practice?
Have you just started learning Chinese?
Are you interested in language exchange?
Or maybe you just want to make some friends...
Look no further! ThinkChina Student Forum is hosting Chinese Language Café every friday at Søndre Campus, University of Copenhagen.
We wish to bring people who are interested in China, Chinese culture and of course language together in order to learn from each other while having fun. Bring your friends, language partner(s), boyfriends, girlfriends and most importantly yourself!
If you are interested in joining us for some language exchange and meet some lovely folks, follow our Facebook Page for more information about Chinese Language Café and other China-related events.
There will be freshly brewed coffee, tea and different snacks.
When: Every friday during the semester, 14:30-16:30
Where: "Barstionen" at Søndre Campus (KUA), Karen Blixens Vej 4. Building 10, 3rd floor, room 68 (10.3.68)
Where are we?
- Facebook: Follow us on Facebook to get information about our upcoming events, read the papers on China we share, join the book club, and other cool stuff! This is also where you can contact us if you have any questions or comments - or maybe you want to join us?
- Instagram: Follow us on Instagram to see pictures from our various activities and to get "China-inspiration"
- Address: Most of our events take place at the South Campus of UCPH, but we will make sure to write on the event where it takes place.
Our language café "Kinacafé 汉语角" takes place at the student bar, BARstionen, at Søndre Campus (KUA), Karen Blixens Vej 4. Building 10, 3rd floor, room 68 (10.3.68).